Wednesday 30 March 2016

Oh, Sorrento...

"You get a strange feeling when you're about to leave a place. Like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you'll never be this way ever again." - Azar Nafisi



I’ve never been anywhere where I have felt I truly belong, then I went to Sorrento and everything changed.



Suddenly I appreciated my surroundings so much more. Admittedly (and embarrassingly) I’ve been lucky enough to go to many places with my family yet until a few years ago, I never appreciated it as much as I should have. Going to Italy changed this. I was faced with a completely unique place with unfamiliar surroundings, people, food, language and architecture… A completely different way of life which was immensely appealing to me.





We stayed in a hotel called Conca Park which was just a five minute walk away from the heart of Sorrento, Piazza Tasso. Here we spent countless hours people watching whilst sipping on cocktails or cappuccinos and window shopping, dreaming about the shoes and handbags we would buy if we could!



Wherever you went, the fresh scent of lemons filtered into your senses, something that even just writing about now I can smell fondly – filling me with comfort and wanderlust. I find myself reminiscing about this when I’m feeling low, or just fed up with the grey and cold weather that has seemed to go on forever here in England!

 
Biggest lemons ever?!

 All in all, my trip was nothing as I expected but everything I wanted and more. I don’t know how, but I feel such a strong connection with Italy as a whole. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about it, or think about the future where I’ll be able to return. Already I’ve booked to go back in July for a few days and next year I’m planning (hopefully!!) to go on a 12 day tour around the country, stopping in destinations such as Assisi, Venice and Tuscany.


I miss you like crazy Italy but I’ll see you soon. Arrivederci!


No comments:

Post a Comment